T his wine is an absolute steal. With the equivalent of three regular bottles in this box, that comes to $5 a bottle for a delightful, refreshing wine.
I know a lot of people look down their noses at box wine, but it’s time to get over that. Who cares what the package is like? It’s what’s inside that counts.

Duca Garganega/Pinot Grigio.
Duca Garganega/Pinot Grigio.
What’s inside this box is a dry, fruit-forward blend of Garganega and Pinot Grigio that will brighten up any picnic or tailgate party. It’s a beautiful pale yellow in the glass, with aromas of pear, flowers and green apples.
The palate has more crisp flavors of apple and pear with a long, smooth finish. There is a creamy texture and complexity to the wine that is very pleasant.
I poured this for a group of friends who all loved it. Many tried to guess the grape, but only Tim was able to figure out the Pinot Grigio that makes up 20% of the blend. The Italian grape Garganega makes up the other 80%.
Garganega is one of those grapes that makes Italy so interesting. It is the sixth most widely planted grape in Italy, yet I had never heard of it. It is common in the northeast region of Veneto and is the major grape of Soave, another wine I love.
I think the grape really helps give some body to the Pinot Grigio, which can be a disappointment at times.
The plastic pouch in a box packaging allows the wine to stay fresh in your refrigerator for 4-5 weeks, but I’ll bet you will have a hard time making it last that long. My friends and I loved the wine so much we drank it all before I could take a photo. And some overzealous cleaner-upper threw the empty box out.
We had the wine with cheese and snacks before dinner, but it would be great with seafood, poultry and salads.
Duca also offers two red blends in boxes: Cabernet/Corvina and Merlot/Pinot Noir. Each box contains about 20 glasses , so it is perfect for large gatherings. The package also is environmentally friendly because it has a smaller carbon footprint.
From: Italy
Winery: Cantina di Soave is a wine cooperative founded in 1898 in the prestigious wine growing region Veneto. With 8,600 acres of vines, the cooperative enforces strict vineyard management practices.
The found group of growers and producers wanted to improve production quality and standards to bring the best value to customers. Today more than 2,200 farmers are part of the cooperative and sales are booming.
About 70% of the cooperative’s vines are within the DOC and DOCG zones, which means they are of the highest quality.
From its six wineries located throughout the Soave zone, Cantina di Soave makes a variety of award-winning indigenous wines from the region of Veneto including Soave, Valpolicella Ripasso, and Amarone. They also offer several box wines, including Viama Rosso Delle Venezie IGT which is packaged in a box shaped like a little black purse.
Cost: $20
Year: 2013

Write A Comment

Pin It