Invited Mark and Brett over to try some Reindeer Droppings. It’s a 25 oz bottle so I figured I needed the help. I was thinking of having 2 brews since (I also have a large bottle of Bad Elf also from Ridgeway). Well I won’t repeat what Mark said about the aroma. It brought back bad memories from his childhood. Brett reminded us that Mark had just come back from a Christmas Party and had been hitting the spiked eggnog.
This is a hoppy beer that trails off quickly. I think it has a flat mouth feel, no effervescence to speak of. A “bit of a bah hum bug beer” said Brett. Mark thinks it is lacking personality other than being sharp and hard on the palate. Clever name but nothing to back it up.
Brett and I both thought there was a lemony taste after that first bitter hoppy hit. The website and the bottle said “Falling from the sky like little bombs of flavour come the Reindeer Droppings! Each one is sweet like California raisins, but bitter and pungent like a freshly peeled grapefruit, lip-smackingly tasty…then ‘pow!’ it’s gone. How did that happen?” After hearing that Brett said that lemon taste is best described as grapefruit. How did that happen? My response was “are you asking us?
Based on price everyone gave this one a thumbs down even with it being a bigger bottle.
I left out that Brett arrived bearing gifts, so to speak. He brought a six of Michelob Winter’s Bourbon Cask Ale . He made me taste it without seeing the label because he thought I would poopoo a mass produced beer. Heck no I told him, I drink Amberbock all the time. This saved the evening as far as tasting (I also saved the Bad Elf for another time). He left a couple of bottles so that might just be the brew for tomorrow night. And the cool part is I didn’t have to pay for it. Merry Christmas!
From: United Kingdom
Size: 25 oz
12 Beers of Christmas (plus 3)
- Day 1: Santa’s Butt Winter Porter
- Day 2: Scaldis Noël
- Day 3: Samuel Smith’s Winter Welcome Ale 2009-2010
- Day 4: Blue Moon Winter Abbey Ale
- Day 5: Bell’s Christmas Ale
- Day 6: Anchor Steam Christmas Ale
- Day 7: Rogue Santa’s Private Reserve
- Day 8: Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale
- Day 9: Reindeer Droppings
- Day 10: Shiner Holiday Cheer
- Day 11: Breckenridge Christmas Ale
- Day 12: Corsendonk Christmas Ale
- Day 13: Bell’s Winter White Ale
- Day 14: Michelob Winter’s Bourbon Cask Ale
- Day 15: Petrus Winter Ale